Friday, December 23, 2011

NIN & a teachable moment.

I am not too proud to call out my parenting failures. I had a great one tonight.
I had to run into a corner pharmacy & opted to leave the boys locked in the car versus trying to run in and grab what I needed and fend off  Little's stunts.

It was starting to get dark. I left the radio on some pop song that Big knows all of the lyrics to and hopped out of the car, locking the doors behind me.
I was in the store, less than five minutes... as I approached my vehicle I felt the blood rush to my head as my mind identified a familiar base line pulsing from the car.

I opened the car door to find Big WIDE-EYED in the back seat. Clearly sort of in shock ~ now we are pretty liberal with the music we play around the boys but there are lines~ as Nine Inch Nails sang the rough, industrial chorus about wanting to fornicate with someone in a rather um, animalistic sort of way.

I reached across killing the radio feed with my "soccermom" reflexes. Now the internal mom conversation~

Mom One: ignore it, maybe he didn't get it, you turned it off, now start the car & drive...

Mom two: address it now, make sure he is ok, you pride yourself on being open, be the adult here...

In a split second Big took any choice I was going to have in the matter away.
In his matter of fact voice he said,
"Clearly that song was not appropriate for me or Little for that matter. Next time you should just put on (Michael) Franti at least he is happy when he sings about sex & relationships."

Mom:
"Yep"

No comments:

Post a Comment